This Job Post is Now Closed
We recommend checking out the similar jobs or reaching out to the consultant for other opportunites.
Macildowie are delighted to be working with a fantastic Local Authority in Derbyshire to appoint a Group Accountant to join their high-performing team.
Following an internal restructure, a need has arisen for a confident, technically strong accountant to support the service directorates to provide a value-add financial support service.
You will work with the Chief Accountant on the closure of the annual accounts and budgets while managing the council's capital programme and fixed assets, overseeing the insurance arrangements and VAT accounting.
- Lead and motivate a team to provide a high quality service to officers across the council.
- Deputise for the Chief Accountant when necessary.
- Provide accountancy advice to directorates so that the finances are managed in line with council policy and procedure.
- Prepare revenue estimates ensuring they are in line with Accountancy Standards, legislation and relevant codes of practice.
- Provide monthly monitoring information and liaise with Heads of Service and Directors on budget variances so that action can be taken to resolve them efficiently and effectively.
- Supervise and review all capital monitoring information, including writing of Capital Strategy and the capital monitoring section of the quarterly Budget and Performance report and to report on the month end position to the Chief Accountant.
- Lead with the Chief Accountant on the closure of the final accounts and production of the Statement of Accounts ensuring compliance with all relevant Accounting Standards. Interpret new and/or amended Accounting Standards and update the Accounting Policies as necessary.
- Manage the provision of effective Capital and Asset Management accounting and monitoring arrangements. Ensure that proper accounting arrangements have been made for the recording and reporting of Fixed Assets. Liaise with the council's external Valuers and Property and Estates to independently check and ensure all asset valuations are performed in line with Accountancy Standards, legislation and relevant codes of practice.
- Responsible for completing and submitting all Capital returns to MHLUC.
- Lead on insurance management ensuring that adequate insurance cover and claims management arrangements are in place.
- Manage the VAT partial exemption calculation exercise, the review and submission of VAT returns. Manage any VAT claims with VAT consultants and HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC). Issue of guidance to ensure the council meets HMRC requirements for information.
Although this role has focus towards Capital and Fixed-Asset management, there is existing expertise within the authority to ensure that, if you do not possess a large amount of knowledge in this area, you will be able to develop under the existing team.
You will ideally have experience from working within local government and be either AAT qualified, part or fully qualified and have a commensurate level of experience. Alternatively, if you have experience of working within a technically-focused finance role, perhaps from an accountancy practice and are keen to step into local government, then we would welcome an application.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with an attractive salary and benefits package, including flexible working and flexi-time, hybrid working with two days per week in the office and access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
For more information please e-mail or call 07790345391.
Please put your home postcode on your CV when applying. Our recruitment tech uses this to make sure your CV is reviewed by the relevant consultant, for the relevant job(s), in the relevant geography.
Macildowie are a recruitment business working on behalf of a client to recruit this role. Your personal data may be forwarded to that client company as part of the application process.
If you would like information on how we will process your data please go to our website (macildowie.com) and view our fair processing notices which are located at the bottom of the page under privacy policies. Within the fair processing notice for Candidates there is guidance on how to amend your contact preferences or exercise your rights relating to personal data. We can't provide direct links as email address and website urls within our job adverts are removed by some of the websites on which we advertise.
Macildowie is a specialist recruitment consultancy with a rich history of enhancing the careers of professionals across the Midlands and the Northern Home Counties. We have an unrivalled understanding of the local market place and recruit for the majority of the region's premier employers. To search for all of our live jobs please visit us at macildowie.com.
- Financial Accounting
- Technical Accounting
- Local Government